Hashtag: Real Talk | Grade 2 Hullabaloo: Hashtag: Real Talk

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Hashtag: Real Talk

Hi--

This morning, I made a promise to myself for this school year. It's a simple one. I am going to find JOY first. No more pushing and prodding myself to do this, do that, don't forget this. And, do you know what? It feels so good to release that pressure. I opened my Jesus Calling book of daily devotionals. August 4th had the greatest impression on me. Deep calls unto deep. The best response is a heart overflowing with gratitude. 

Gratitude. 

Our professional development days began last Monday. We had meetings and more meetings. It was necessary information that we need to be successful. Still, in the back of my mind, I was thinking, "I have to get my room ready." Then, it dawned on me. I recently posted advice for new teachers. One piece of advice was, "No one is going to know what you didn't get done in your room." 

Thursday was a work day for us. No meetings. My room was a wreck. I had been cleaning out old things that I never use. There were storage boxes and stacks of stuff everywhere. (Side note: When I moved into this room, in a brand new school, I had 70 boxes of things. SEVENTY! My principal said, "Leave some room for the children, Susan." That was great advice that took me six years to follow.)

I worked like a mad woman to get my room ready. It wasn't perfect. I could see all the things I meant to do, but didn't have time to do. The children arrived. Their parents arrived. A few grandparents arrived. My room had as many adults as children! It was wonderful and nerve wracking! On my 23rd first day of school, I was as nervous as my first. One mother said, "I love your room." I explained that it was bare because we would add children's work as they created it. She said, "No, I like it." She saw beauty where I saw imperfection. Those comments were just what I needed to hear. Everything was okay.

That was then. Before my reawakening. 

Gratitude:

I have a great job that I was called to do. 
I am entrusted with the care of beautiful, curious, precious children every day. 
I have loving, patient coworkers.
I choose to find JOY in every part of every day.

So, my room isn't perfect. I'm not perfect. Yet, I'm grateful that I get to live each day trying to be better than the day before.

Keep your eyes on Me as you practice walking in this garment of salvation. --August 9

No comments: