Guilt and A Forest of Kings | Grade 2 Hullabaloo: Guilt and A Forest of Kings

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Guilt and A Forest of Kings

Hola!

(See what I did there? It will make sense a few lines down the page.)

In anticipation of The Beach Trip to Playa del Carmen with Cuz, and a tour of the Maya Ruins, I ordered A Forest of Kings, by Schele and Freidel, thinking I would front-load some knowledge about the Maya culture. So far, I have learned that this culture is referred to as Maya and not Mayan. I have also learned that the book focuses on the kings and royalty of the Maya's importance in history. (Let's overlook that little calendar-world-coming-to-an-end incident.) I look forward to learning much, much more. 

However, we have decided not to take the tour, and I am feeling guilty, so this is going to be my flight and beach reading. That is, unless I stop binge-watching Suits and start reading, so I can finish 544 pages before Saturday morning!



I'm on page 40, and I can say that I have also learned how to pronounce vowel sounds in Spanish with some exceptions to these pronunciations. It's nice to learn that ours isn't the only language that has lots of exceptions as to how words are pronounced. Learning Spanish is on my bucket list, so I would say that I am killing two birds with one stone!

What's on your summer (pleasure) reading list? I'd love to know! Leave a comment below.

No comments: