| Grade 2 Hullabaloo

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Robert Burns was right: The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men Gang aft agley. Translation: The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. I would like to add that the best laid (detailed) plans of teachers and mice (?) often go awry.

I am guilty. Guilty of over-planning this week. I was a frazzled, near meltdown mess this morning. I had so many things going on, that I should have been wearing a ringmaster's garb. I forgot that children can't really be rushed. I put my need to cover every wonderful thing on my plans over their need to experience it. Lesson relearned.  

The best part of the day was when we revised a classroom preamble that I had from last year.This was after I read We the Kids by Brian Catrow. 




It's a  lovely book. If you read it, don't skip the forward. He describes his thinking and motivation for creating the book.  I was amazed with the thoughtful ideas my kiddos shared! They took the process very seriously, and the finished product is wonderful. 







Signing it with a turkey feather quill pen was the highlight! 

I hope your day was terrific!

No comments: